All Menstrual Products Should Be Free 

Betsy Cifuentes, Contributor

Feminine menstrual products are a basic necessity in the lives of many. This is why feminine menstrual products should be free, and if not free, at least more affordable and not taxed. Today’s society doesn’t understand our struggles well enough.

“We didn’t ask our bodies to continuously bleed every 3-4 weeks, therefore we shouldn’t have to pay for something I quite literally need,” said senior Stephanie Garcia.

On top of dealing with tons of emotional and physical distress, pain, and discomfort, we have to pay for these products. With that being said others make profit off of a natural reoccurrence that we didn’t ask to have and don’t have the ability to control. It is because of our monthly menstrual cycles, and others benefit from the financial aspect of it. 

A menstruation, otherwise known as a period, is a regular monthly discharge of blood and mucosal from the inner lining of a uterus through the vagina. It is triggered by falling progesterone levels signifying that pregnancy hasn’t occurred. It can start at about the age of 10 and can stop around your 50’s due to menopause.

For people of low income that need these products it can be extremely difficult to pay the monthly expense of around $20 per woman a month, which comes out to a costly expense of $240 a year. These purchases may not be affordable and can be nearly impossible for many. 

An article written by the World Economic Forum explained that three out of ten females have trouble accessing feminine hygiene products and due to that over 54% of them have no other option but to resort to toilet paper as an alternative.

Keep in mind, if a low-income family is full of women, that price can rapidly multiply. The price of these products are increasing year after year because of rising prices due to inflation. 

“Due to the fact that these vital products are a part of healthcare they should at the least be reasonably priced at a very inexpensive cost,” said senior Sophie Loder. “Some may not realize it but a difference of $20 can be a determining factor as to whether a mother has enough to provide their family with food for the week.”

Everything, everywhere is constantly becoming more expensive, but that should never mean that anyone is denied access to these products.

“I can’t imagine homeless people not only having to worry about shelter and food, but then on top of that adding on the stress of worrying that they’re going to bleed through some of the only clothing they own,” said sophomore Martha Gomez. 

Not to mention going through a menstrual cycle is nowhere near enjoyable. We experience many uncomfortable symptoms that can be alike to pregnancy symptoms. We are being used and many million dollar companies and businesses are exploiting us. 

It is understood that many people like factory workers depend on the income made by the selling of these products but that is exactly why these companies like Tampax and Always should be fully funded by the government so that these workers can continue to obtain the income needed. 

There is not a single product, similar to our feminine menstrual products, that a man has to buy every month to live a normal life. Although it is a natural process of life, the male body luckily does not have to experience anything that is nearly as awful and similar to what we go through, so why should we pay the price for it.

Students are happy to see that our school has finally increased the number of these products within our restrooms, after finally making them free, and having to pay for them after numerous years.

“Knowing I have free menstruating products available when entering a restroom is stress-relieving in a way, especially in case of an emergency,” said sophomore Belen Coronado. 

There are many public restrooms that still haven’t fixed that issue but should indeed focus on implementing free products as well. As a woman, it is very upsetting when I encounter situations in public restrooms and you’re left with no choice but to use an uncomfortable amount of toilet paper or rush home and hope for the best.

Despite our school finally having free menstruating products available, they’re not the best quality, considering the discomfort of the only two options offered in restrooms.

It can be concerning that our school can afford a new eight-figure building but can’t afford quality feminine menstrual products. Rough cardboard tampons and big diaper-like pads are not comfortable for our use, but when it comes down to an emergency we are left with no other option. For something that is meant for our own comfort our options shouldn’t be stuck picking between bad and horrible products in our school restrooms. 

It is absurd and we students deserve to have this issue fixed. Being providing and investing in better menstrual product companies in a public setting would make us women feel much more comfortable and satisfied, especially on this campus.

“Periods are normal bodily functions which is why we deserve the right to free and good quality menstrual products,” said sophomore Vy Tran.